Park Improvements and Updates
On behalf of the Mayor, City Council and City staff would like to thank all the Lakeville residents who turned out to show their support for the 2021 Park Bond Referendum. This investment in your parks, trails and natural resources will help us further our commitment to providing high quality recreational amenities for residents of all ages. We could not have done it without you!
*Asterisks indicate upcoming projects that are not part of the park bond referendum.
Master Plan Concepts
Click on the images below to see the Master Plan Concepts (PDFs)*.
* The master plan concept images are meant to illustrate general proposed layout showing how the amenities relate to one another and to provide examples of the types of amenities to consider during implementation. The actual designs for the buildings, playground equipment, athletic fields and other site amenities have not been determined at this point and would take place during the final design process.
Antlers Community Park - 2023
The reconstruction and expansion of Antlers Park was one project that was approved as part of the November 2021 Park Bond Referendum. The project will begin this spring and will last throughout all of 2023, which will necessitate the closure of the entire park and swimming beach during construction.
Antlers Park is a destination park located on the shores of Lake Marion, it boasts a popular swimming beach, picnic shelters, recreational trails and more! The park is heavily utilized and it’s starting to show its age. Some of the improvements include:
- Expanded parking lot areas to accommodate the peak season traffic the park experiences
- A central plaza to be constructed on the location of the historic dance pavilion once located at the park
- Updated modern restrooms for improved park user experience
- A community fire pit
- Additional picnic shelters and shade structures
- Recreation amenities such as sand volleyball courts, lawn area for outdoor games and children’s playground
- Lake Marion Regional Greenway Trailhead providing walking and biking access to the City’s extensive trail system
The estimated cost of the proposed improvements totals $12.5 million, construction has begun in 2023. See the site plan below.
Hasse Arena - 2023
This project entails constructing an NHL sized refrigerated ice rink which would be an expansion of the existing skating facilities located at the site which would include replacing the current ice plant which uses R22 refrigerant that is no longer manufactured due to federal laws. This 2nd sheet of ice at Hasse Arena would be maintained from October through March and could be utilized for hockey, figure skating, open skate, broomball and boot hockey tournaments, private parties and more.
The estimated cost of the proposed expansion totals $7.8 million. See the master plan concept below.
Knob Hill Park - 2023*
See master plan concept below.
Avonlea Community Park - 2024
Avonlea Community Park is slated to be a premier destination within the Lakeville parks system. There are lots of exciting amenities proposed for the park conveniently located right off Cedar Avenue and 185th Street:
- Once completed, the park will have 6 multi-use athletic fields to support the ever-growing youth athletic associations and recreation programming. The new fields can be utilized for a variety of sports including soccer, lacrosse, football and ultimate frisbee.
- In addition to this, a full-sized baseball diamond, 6-8 lit pickleball courts, half basketball court and challenge course are also included in the proposed construction.
- Avonlea Community Park will also be home to the City’s first splashpad to beat the heat on those hot summer days as well as many other traditional park features such as recreational trails, park buildings and shelters, play equipment and more.
The estimated cost of the proposed construction totals $16.785 million and construction would begin in 2024. See the master plan concept below.
East Community Park Phase II - 2025
The construction of East Community Park started with Phase I back in the early 2000’s. Located off Pilot Knob Road, this park is a nature lovers destination right in your back yard! East Community Park provides fishing opportunities, scenic recreational trails, tennis and basketball courts and field space for a variety of youth organizations. The Phase II construction of this park would provide expanded recreational opportunities for park users of all ages and interests:
- The addition of a canoe/kayak boarding dock and canoe racks for those looking to explore East Lake
- North Creek Regional Greenway Trailhead which will include restroom facilities, an informational kiosk and bike fix-it station for trail users as well as trail additions
- Installation of prairie pollination gardens, nature play areas and improved overlooks
- Construction of shoreline fishing areas
The completion of East Community Park would complement its natural beauty while also providing more recreational amenities for the community.
The estimated cost of the proposed expansion totals $2.674 million and construction would begin in 2025. See the master plan concept below.
Videos with details about the park bond referendum projects
Watch these videos to learn more about each project included in the 2021 park bond referendum.
To see a list of all the videos, click on the icon with three lines in the upper right corner of the YouTube image, or use the individual links below.